Enjoy some delicious recipes!
Program #674Rhonda Matthews
Roasted Vegetable and Barley Soup
2 ½ cups onion, diced
1 ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup button or baby portabella mushrooms, stems removed
1 T olive oil
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
5 plum tomatoes, halved
3 garlic cloves
8 cups vegetable broth
1 cup potato, diced
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup barley
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Combine first 9 ingredients in a jelly-roll pan; toss to coat. Bake at 425°F for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and beginning to turn golden brown.
3. Combine broth and remaining ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes and barley are tender.
4. Slice roasted mushrooms, dice roasted tomatoes and mince roasted garlic.
5. Add all of the roasted vegetables to soup and continue to cook about 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Yield: About 16 (1 cup) servings
Note: Freezes well.
Garlic and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cup milk
1 T dried or fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, garlic powder and salt.
3. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Gently stir in cheddar cheese.
5. Add milk and gently stir just until moistened.
6. Drop dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
7. Sprinkle parsley on top of each biscuit.
8. Bake at 450°F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 12 biscuits.
John Adams, 2nd President of the USA
The preservation of liberty depends upon the intellectual and moral character of the people. As long as knowledge and virtue are diffused generally among the body of a nation, it is impossible they should be enslaved.