Enjoy some delicious recipes!
Program #824Marie Hegler
Pear, Blue Cheese & Walnut Pizza
2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin pizza crust dough
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 medium pear, thinly sliced
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a 14 x 10-inch rectangle.
3. Sprinkle cornmeal over a large baking sheet;
4. place dough on baking sheet.
5. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over dough.
6. Arrange pear and onion slices over mozzarella;
7. top evenly with blue cheese and walnuts.
8. Bake at 400° for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned.
9. Sprinkle with thyme and drizzle with vinegar;
10. cut into 12 pieces.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 slices)
6 medium apples, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Grease 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with shortening or cooking spray.
In large bowl, mix apple slices with granulated sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon;
toss to coat evenly. Pour into baking dish.
3. In medium bowl, mix flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts and salt.
With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over apple mixture.
4. Bake 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Yield: 8 servings
Salt in Antiquity
While salt is cheap today, it used to be worth its weight in gold. Historians believe that Roman soldiers were once paid with salt. In fact, the word 'salary' comes from the Latin word 'salarium,' or payment in salt. During the late Roman Empire, salt was carried across 400 miles of the Sahara desert by caravans of as many as 40,000 camels. It was that important to humanity!