Enjoy some delicious recipes!
Program #860Marie Hegler
Summer Cookout: Basil Burgers, Cucumber Tomato Couscous Salad, Berry Lemon Trifle
1 1/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup freshly chopped basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 5 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
2. Heat a large nonstick grill skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan, and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until done.
Yield: 5 servings
Cucumber Tomato Couscous Salad
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 English cucumber, diced
1 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 cups water
2 wide strips lemon zest
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, stems saved
3 green onions (white and green), chopped
1. Toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, and lemon juice in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
2. Bring the water, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and mint stems to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous, cover with a lid, and remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove the zest and herb stems and fluff with a fork.
3. Add couscous to the tomato mixture. Stir in mint and scallions. Drizzle the remaining oil over the salad, toss and serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Berry Lemon Trifle
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (6-ounce) container lemon yogurt
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 (8-ounce) container reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed and divided
1 pint strawberries
1 pint blueberries
1/2 pint rasberries
8 ounces prepared angel food cake
1. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, lemon juice and zest. Fold in 1 1/2 cups whipped topping.
2. In a trifle bowl or individual bowls, spoon a layer of the lemon mixture. Add a layer of cake pieces and then a layer of berries. Keep going to make 3 or 4 more layers, depending on the size of the bowl, finishing with a layer of berries.
3. Spread remaining whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Clemson Cooperative Extension
Area Food Safety & Nutrition Agent
John Adams, 2nd President of the USA
The preservation of liberty depends upon the intellectual and moral character of the people. As long as knowledge and virtue are diffused generally among the body of a nation, it is impossible they should be enslaved.