Enjoy some delicious recipes!
Program #860Marie Hegler
Summer Cookout: Basil Burgers, Cucumber Tomato Couscous Salad, Berry Lemon Trifle
1 1/4 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup freshly chopped basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 5 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
2. Heat a large nonstick grill skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan, and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until done.
Yield: 5 servings
Cucumber Tomato Couscous Salad
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 English cucumber, diced
1 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 cups water
2 wide strips lemon zest
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, stems saved
3 green onions (white and green), chopped
1. Toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, and lemon juice in a bowl with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
2. Bring the water, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of the oil, and mint stems to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous, cover with a lid, and remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove the zest and herb stems and fluff with a fork.
3. Add couscous to the tomato mixture. Stir in mint and scallions. Drizzle the remaining oil over the salad, toss and serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Berry Lemon Trifle
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (6-ounce) container lemon yogurt
1 lemon, juice and zest
1 (8-ounce) container reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed and divided
1 pint strawberries
1 pint blueberries
1/2 pint rasberries
8 ounces prepared angel food cake
1. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, lemon juice and zest. Fold in 1 1/2 cups whipped topping.
2. In a trifle bowl or individual bowls, spoon a layer of the lemon mixture. Add a layer of cake pieces and then a layer of berries. Keep going to make 3 or 4 more layers, depending on the size of the bowl, finishing with a layer of berries.
3. Spread remaining whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Clemson Cooperative Extension
Area Food Safety & Nutrition Agent
Maturity is the ability to control anger and settle differences without violence or destruction.